Saturday, September 15, 2012

Garage Organization Part 2


The first place that I started was shelving.  I wanted my items off the ground and I wanted to stack them higher so that I could utilize my space better.  I am in a rental unit so I could not damage the walls or rebuild things as I saw fit.  The other piece that I had to contend with is that we will be moving.  I needed a shelving system that allowed me to move it in a year without having to wreck my back in the process. 
What I wanted was a heavy duty shelving system like what is used in a warehouse.  I had used one in the past and the ability to put it together quickly and the strength to hold any item was appealing to me.  Unfortunately, after measuring my garage and I did not have the room to put a 72” wide rack.  Since that was out of the picture I went shopping at my local hardware stores for the perfect solution. 
I stumbled upon first was a plastic shelving system.  It was narrow enough to fit in the space that I wanted and it had heavy duty shelves.  I brought it home and with some help with my little helpers, we put it together in around an hour.  I put it in the location that I wanted and started loading up the shelves.  What I quickly discovered was it was not going to work for all of my needs.  I was able to find enough small bins and individual items to keep the shelving unit.  I will probably use this unit in a pantry not a garage, but it will work for now.

The next system I looked for a little longer.  I finally found one on sale and I purchased it online through a local retailer.  Most retailers have this one or one similar to it.  The quality of material seems to be good enough for a long lasting shelf system.  It was a tall shelf that could be divided into two or built into one large one.  I decided that I was looking for a workbench so I put it together into two pieces.  One person can do it, but help is always appreciated.  This unit came with shelving material made out of particle board.  I do not plan on them lasting forever, but they work for now.

I had the two boys to help me put it together.  They did a good job of reading the instructions.  :)  Eventually we got to the fun part that everyone could join in on.  I had a bunch of left over foam brushes and sealer from a previous project.  I gathered all the troops this time to the coats on.  This is one time the heat was helpful and allowed the shelves dried really fast.  By the time we got back from lunch, it was dry.  The next post will cover the last of the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment